Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Music, Life, Art

I am very often reminded how blessed I am to be able to create music on my own terms.  Not long ago, going into a recording studio to demo out ideas was out of reach for the average musician costing thousands of dollars.  Traditionally an artist would have to be signed to a major label in order to record a high quality record and distribute said recording.  The playing field has definitely been evened out.

Unfortunately after checking my ASCAP and CD distributor earning statements recently, I see the obvious trade-off.  The era of getting rich off of royalties from a platinum selling record appear to be long gone.  Several established recording artists refuse to put out new music as a result.

I guess in the end it boils down to what music meant to you in the first place.  What is it that you were trying to accomplish?  I guess if money was a primary motivator, you are out of luck.  The fame is still there even if there is lint in your pocket.

I pretty much always viewed music as sacred and having a higher meaning and purpose.  For me, music should heal and communicate an idea, emotion, concept, etc.   As I sit here in my studio taking a break, I thank the most high for the gift and am humbled by the blessing that it truly is to create.


No comments:

Post a Comment